Staff and Volunteer Acceptable Use Policy
Tredworth Junior School
Staff and Volunteer Acceptable Use Policy Agreement
|Finance & Premises Committee
|Date of review:
|26 January 2023
|Next review due by:
New technologies have become integral to the lives of children and young people in today’s society, both within schools and in their lives outside school. The internet and other digital information and communications technologies are powerful tools, which open up new opportunities for everyone. These technologies can stimulate discussion, promote creativity and stimulate awareness of context to promote effective learning. They also bring opportunities for staff to be more creative and productive in their work. All users should have an entitlement to safe internet access at all times.
This Acceptable Use Policy is intended to ensure:
- that staff and volunteers will be responsible users and stay safe while using the internet and other communications technologies for educational, personal and recreational use.
- that school ICT systems and users are protected from accidental or deliberate misuse that could put the security of the systems and users at risk.
- that staff are protected from potential risk in their use of ICT in their everyday work.
The school will try to ensure that staff and volunteers will have good access to ICT to enhance their work, to enhance learning opportunities for students / pupils learning and will, in return, expect staff and volunteers to agree to be responsible users.
Acceptable Use Policy Agreement
I understand that I must use school ICT systems in a responsible way, to ensure that there is no risk to my safety or to the safety and security of the ICT systems and other users. I recognise the value of the use of ICT for enhancing learning and will ensure that students / pupils receive opportunities to gain from the use of ICT. I will, where possible, educate the young people in my care in the safe use of ICT and embed e-safety in my work with young people.
For my professional and personal safety:
- I understand that the school may monitor my use of the ICT systems, email and other digital communications.
- I understand that the rules set out in this agreement also apply to use of school ICT systems (e.g. laptops, email, VLE etc) out of school.
- I understand that the school ICT systems are primarily intended for educational use and that I will only use the systems for personal or recreational use within the policies and rules set down by the school.
- I will not disclose my username or password to anyone else, nor will I try to use any other person’s username and password.
- I will immediately report any illegal, inappropriate or harmful material or incident, I become aware of, to the appropriate person.
I will be professional in my communications and actions when using school ICT systems:
- I will not access, copy, remove or otherwise alter any other user’s files, without their express permission.
- I will communicate with others in a professional manner, I will not use aggressive or inappropriate language and I appreciate that others may have different opinions.
- I will ensure that when I take and / or publish images of others I will do so with their permission and in accordance with the school’s policy on the use of digital / video images. I will not use my personal equipment to record these images, unless I have permission to do so. Where these images are published (e.g. on the school website / VLE) it will not be possible to identify by name, or other personal information, those who are featured.
- I will not use chat and social networking sites in school.
- I will only communicate with students / pupils and parents / carers using official school systems. Any such communication will be professional in tone and manner. Further to this I will never give out my personal address, mobile phone number etc or that of other members of staff/school community without their express permission.
- I will not engage in any on-line activity either at home or in school that may compromise my professional responsibilities including but not limited to using social networking sites to discuss grievances relating to work or children, members of staff, comments, confidential matters or any activity that may bring the school into disrepute.
The school and the local authority have the responsibility to provide safe and secure access to technologies and ensure the smooth running of the school:
- When I use my personal hand held / external devices (PDAs / laptops / mobile phones / USB devices etc) in school, I will follow the rules set out in this agreement, in the same way as if I was using school equipment. I will also follow any additional rules set by the school about such use. I will ensure that any such devices are protected by up to date anti-virus software and are free from viruses.
- I will not use personal email addresses on the school ICT systems and only use my school email address for school business.
- I will not open any attachments to emails, unless the source is known and trusted, due to the risk of the attachment containing viruses or other harmful programmes.
- I will ensure that my data is regularly backed up, in accordance with relevant school policies.
- I will not try to upload, download or access any materials which are illegal (child sexual abuse images, criminally racist material, adult pornography covered by the Obscene Publications Act) or inappropriate or may cause harm or distress to others. I will not try to use any programmes or software that might allow me to bypass the filtering / security systems in place to prevent access to such materials.
- I will not try (unless I have permission) to make large downloads or uploads that might take up internet capacity and prevent other users from being able to carry out their work.
- I will not install or attempt to install programmes of any type on a machine, or store programmes on a computer, nor will I try to alter computer settings, unless this is allowed in school policies or given specific permission.
- I will not disable or cause any damage to school equipment, or the equipment belonging to others.
- I will not transport, hold, disclose or share personal information about myself or others.
- Where personal data is transferred outside the secure school network, it must be secured in such a way that members of the general public cannot access it.
- I understand that data protection policy requires that any staff or student / pupil data to which I have access, will be kept private and confidential, except when it is deemed necessary that I am required by law or by school policy to disclose such information to an appropriate authority.
- I will immediately report any damage or faults involving equipment or software, however this may have happened.
When using the internet in my professional capacity or for school sanctioned personal use:
- I will ensure that I have permission to use the original work of others in my own work.
- Where work is protected by copyright, I will not download or distribute copies (including music and videos).
- I understand that I am responsible for my actions in and out of school.
- I understand that this Acceptable Use Policy applies not only to my work and use of school ICT equipment in school, but also applies to my use of school ICT systems and equipment out of school and my use of personal equipment in school or in situations related to my employment by the school.
- I understand that if I fail to comply with this Acceptable Use Policy Agreement, I could be subject to disciplinary action. This could include a warning, a suspension, referral to Governors and / or the Local Authority, dismissal and in the event of illegal activities the involvement of the police.
I have read and understand the above and agree to use the school ICT systems (both in and out of school) and my own devices (in school and when carrying out communications related to the school) within these guidelines.
Staff / Volunteer Name