Design and Technology
Design and Technology is embedded within the Learning Journey. It usually takes place as part of a longitudinal study where children are given plenty of time to learn, develop, practice and perfect skills.
- Mastering practical skills in all the areas of learning
- Planning and designing taking inspiration from designs from different eras of history
- Evaluating and Improving
- Mechanisms and electrical & mechanical components
- Structures and stiff and flexible sheet materials
- develop the creative, technical and practical expertise needed to perform everyday tasks confidently and to participate successfully in an increasingly technological world
- build and apply a repertoire of knowledge, understanding and skills in order to design and make high-quality prototypes and products for a wide range of users
- critique, evaluate and test their ideas and products and the work of others
- understand and apply the principles of nutrition and learn how to cook.
- Improve pupils’ skills in writing, mathematics and computing.
- Improve pupils’ skills in communication and team work.
- Develop pupils’ thinking and problem solving skills
- Develop pupils as active citizens
Within our learning on healthy and balanced lifestyles pupils are taught how to safely prepare healthy snacks and meals through our Cooking Curriculum. Each year group has a focus question with the skills building upon the previous years learning.
Y3 – 5 A Day Chef
Y4 – Light Bite Chef
Y5 – World Chef
Y6 – Head Chef