Design and Technology
Design and Technology is embedded within the Learning Journey. It usually takes place as part of a longitudinal study where children are given plenty of time to learn, develop, practice and perfect skills.
In D&T we work on the following skills:
- Mastering practical skills in all the areas of learning
- Planning and designing taking inspiration from designs from different eras of history
- Evaluating and Improving
The specific areas of learning are:
- Mechanisms and electrical & mechanical components
- Structures and stiff and flexible sheet materials
Through our teaching of Design and Technology we aim to:
- develop the creative, technical and practical expertise needed to perform everyday tasks confidently and to participate successfully in an increasingly technological world
- build and apply a repertoire of knowledge, understanding and skills in order to design and make high-quality prototypes and products for a wide range of users
- critique, evaluate and test their ideas and products and the work of others
- understand and apply the principles of nutrition and learn how to cook.
Through Design and Technology we can also:
- Improve pupils’ skills in writing, mathematics and computing.
- Improve pupils’ skills in communication and team work.
- Develop pupils’ thinking and problem solving skills
- Develop pupils as active citizens
Cooking at Tredworth Junior School:
Within our learning on healthy and balanced lifestyles pupils are taught how to safely prepare healthy snacks and meals through our Cooking Curriculum. Each year group has a focus question with the skills building upon the previous years learning.
Y3 – 5 A Day Chef
Y4 – Light Bite Chef
Y5 – World Chef
Y6 – Head Chef