Accessibility Policy &Plan
|Full Governing Body
|Last reviewed on:
|14 July 2022
|Next review due by:
Accessibility Policy and Plan
This Accessibility Policy and Plan are drawn up in compliance with current legislation and requirements as specified in Schedule 10, relating to Disability, of the Equality Act 2010. School Governors are accountable for ensuring the implementation, review and reporting on progress of the Accessibility Plan over a prescribed period.
1. We are committed to providing an accessible environment which values and includes all pupils, staff, parents and visitors regardless of their education, physical, sensory, social, spiritual, emotional and cultural needs. We are committed to challenging negative attitudes about disability and accessibility and to developing a culture of awareness, tolerance and inclusion.
2. Tredworth Junior School plans to ensure the accessibility of provision for all pupils, staff and visitors to the school.
3. An Accessibility Plan has been drawn up to cover a three year period. The plan will be updated annually.
4. The Accessibility Plan contains relevant actions to:
- Improve access to the physical environment of the school, adding specialist facilities as necessary. This covers reasonable adjustments to the physical environment of the school and physical aids to access education.
- Increase access to the curriculum for pupils with a disability, expanding and making reasonable adjustments to the curriculum as necessary to ensure that pupils with a disability are as equally prepared for life as are the able-bodied pupils (If a school fails to do this they are in breach of the DDA). This covers teaching and learning and the wider curriculum of the school such as participation in after-school clubs, leisure and cultural activities or school visits. It also covers the provision of specialist aids and equipment, which may assist these pupils in accessing the curriculum.
- Improve and make reasonable adjustments to the delivery of written information to pupils, staff, parents and visitors with disabilities. Examples might include hand-outs, timetables, textbooks and information about the school and school events. The information should be made available in various preferred formats within a reasonable time frame.
5. The Action Plan for physical accessibility relates to the Access Audit of the School, which is undertaken regularly. The audit will need to be revisited prior to the end of each first three-year plan period in order to inform the development of the new plan for the following period.
6. As curriculum policies are reviewed, they will take into account any equality objectives or access objectives as required.
7. The Accessibility Plan will be published on the school website and will be available in hard copy from the school office upon request.
8. The school’s ‘Complaints Procedure’ covers the Accessibility Plan.
9. The plan will be monitored through the Curriculum and the Premises Committees of the Governors.
Tredworth Junior School Accessibility Plan 2020 - 2023
Improving the Curriculum Access at Tredworth Junior School
Improving the Physical Access at Tredworth Junior School
Improving the Delivery of Information at Tredworth Junior School