Art is embedded within the Learning Journey.
In Art we work on the following skills:
- Developing ideas – create sketch books to record observations
- Knowledge and understanding of great artists, craft makers and designers
Through our teaching of Art we aim to:
- To enable children to record from first-hand experience and from imagination, and to select their own ideas to use in their work;
- To develop creativity and imagination through a range of complex activities;
- To improve the children’s ability to control materials, tools and techniques;
- To increase their critical awareness of the roles and purposes of art and design in different times and cultures;
- To develop increasing confidence in the use of visual and tactile elements and materials;
- To foster an enjoyment and appreciation of the visual arts, and a knowledge of artists, craftspeople and designers.
Through Art we can also:
- Improve pupils’ skills in writing, mathematics and computing
- Develop pupils’ thinking skills
- Promote pupils’ awareness and understanding of gender, cultural, spiritual and moral issues
- Develop pupils as active citizens